. Interest Rates based on highest fixed deposit rate with maximum deposit amount of $75,000 and 3 to 18 months tenure. State Bank of India current highest fixed deposit rate is 0.60% p.a. For 18 months tenure with minimum deposit of $1,000. There is currently no fixed deposit promotional rate for State Bank of India Fixed Deposits. Here is the link to WeCare Deposit announcement on SBI’s website. How much monthly interest can you get from your FDs? Depends on the interest rate applicable. A few years back I wrote about this. You can read it at i) Monthly interest on Rs 1 Crore fixed deposit, and ii) Monthly interest on Rs 2 Crore fixed deposit. Now comes the key question. SBI FD Interest Rates: The State Bank of India (SBI) has revised its fixed deposit (FD) interest rates in select maturity tenor. The new SBI FD rates have become applicable from 8th January 2020 on all retail FDs less than Rs 2 crore. Get more Personal Finance News and Business News on Zee Business. Check here for State Bank Of India Fixed Deposit (SBI FD) latest board rates. SBI FD Calculator. Calculate how much interest you can get if you place your money.
Check out the best information relating to SBI fixed deposits interest rates:
SBI or the state bank of India under the reference to rules and regulations by the reserve bank of India has bought down good policies and fixed deposit interest rates for its customers. Every scheme launched is equally special and is considered a better option for all age groups. Considering fixed deposits, the SBI fixed deposits are quite the safest investments today available in the market. The bank is providing its customers with best options for investment in their savings as with 6 types of fixed deposit schemes. These are competitive SBI FD interest rates extending the best returns to the investors.
SBI Fixed Deposit Interest Rates 2021
State bank of India sets with one of the most reliable FD providing with best of its rates across the market. The SBI FD offers with good number of benefits to its investors with higher returns, flexible tenures, lower minimum deposit limits as well as load against FD facility. Coming to its rates of Interest with FD, the highest one being offered is 5.40 %. Now the latest SBI FD interest rates for senior citizens on the other hand range between 3.40 % to 6.20%.
SBI FD Rate Chart
Sbi Fixed Deposit Interest Rate
Here comes the information relating to the SBI FD interest rates with a comparative analysis:-
Features of State Bank of India Fixed Deposit
Probably today SBI Fixed deposit is one of the best investment options available for all aged depositors who are looking for a better investment future. This is the fixed deposit which includes the money earned from the fixed income instrument and can easily earn higher returns than that of the saving account. Looking forward to its best and key features:-
- Moving ahead with the deposit amount, the SBI FD can easily be opened with the lowest of rs 1000 with extending to as high as possible.
- The FD Tenure amount ranges between 7 days to 10 years.
- The interest rate ranges from 2.90 % to 5.40 % per annum.
- The senior citizen FD rate stands at 3.40 % to 6.20% per annum.
- The SBI is providing the highest interest rates for a tenure of 10 years.
- SBI deposits are covered under the deposit insurance schemes of RBI in which up to 5 lakh rupees are for depositors insured by the DICGC.
- SBI is providing with a loan against FD. This is going to help the depositors with meeting their needs for small requirements without breaking the FD.
- Auto-renewal facility is also easily available.
- There is an authenticated nomination facility available for the depositors.
- SBI is offering popular FD schemes like tax savings, reinvestment plan, SBI multi option deposit schemes, regular fixed deposits, money multiplier plan, Flexi deposit schemes, and SBI we care deposits.
Best of FD plan is supported by the SBI which can be carried for 5 to 10 years with the current FD rates 5.40 %.
Gayatri Mohapatra has 10 years of experience in content writing. She write on all niches specially with banking (worked as a professional Banker for 4 years). She is keen learner for which she choose this profession.
SBI, the country’s largest bank has come to the rescue of senior citizens. It has launched a special FD scheme for senior citizens called the SBI ‘WECARE’ Senior Citizens’ Term Deposit scheme(2020).
Sbi Deposit Rates
And what is interesting about this scheme?
The current falling rates scenario is painful for those who depend on interest income. Primarily senior citizens. So this SBI ‘WECARE’ Senior Citizens’ Term Deposit scheme provides a higher interest rate to senior citizens.
Here are a few important points about the scheme:
- Only senior citizens, i.e. aged 60 years and above can invest SBI WECARE Deposit. Also, this is available only for resident Indians and hence, NRI senior citizens are not eligible to invest in the scheme.
- What is the interest rate of SBI ‘WECARE’ Senior Citizens’ Term Deposit 2020 scheme? Of course, that is the key question. As per details on the SBI website, the scheme pays additional 0.80% above the rates applicable to the general public. Since the senior citizens were already getting about 0.50% extra over and above the general public FD rates, this SBI WeCare Senior Citizen Deposit offers an additional premium of 0.30% (over and above existing premium of 0.50%) to senior citizen depositors. But this additional 0.30% premium is payable only for term deposits with tenor of 5 Years and above. As of now, the SBI ‘WECARE’ Senior Citizens’ Term Deposit scheme is giving 6.5% interest. You can check the latest SBI Deposit rates.
- The ‘WECARE’ Senior Citizens’ Term Deposit can only be opened for tenor ranging from a minimum of 5 years to a maximum of 10 years.
- And how will the interest* be paid in this scheme? As per details on the site, the interest earned from SBI We Care Deposits is to be paid at monthly or quarterly intervals. At the time of writing this post and based on the data available, I am not too sure if interest payment is available at half-yearly or yearly intervals. Or for that matter if the cumulative option (interest paid at the time of maturity) is available or not. *(For senior citizens, TDS will be deducted on the interest payment if the total interest (from all FDs, RD, etc. but not savings account) paid in a financial year exceeds Rs 50,000. Read more about taxation of fixed deposit interest)
- Is this a permanent scheme? No. It’s a special scheme launched to help seniors during the COVID-triggered interest rate reduction. This is a limited period scheme. And the scheme is open between May 12, 2020, and September 30, 2020.
- Is Premature withdrawal of WeCare Deposit allowed? Yes. But the additional interest of 0.30% under this special scheme will not be payable in case of premature withdrawal
Sbi Fixed Deposit Interest Rate For Senior Citizen
Here is the link to WeCare Deposit announcement on SBI’s website.
How much monthly interest can you get from your FDs? Depends on the interest rate applicable. A few years back I wrote about this. You can read it at i) Monthly interest on Rs 1 Crore fixed deposit, and ii) Monthly interest on Rs 2 Crore fixed deposit.
Now comes the key question.
Should you invest SBI WECARE Deposit 2020 for Senior Citizens?
Like all questions in personal finance, there is no one right answer here.
For some senior citizens, this may be good. For others, not so.
But still, here are few points to ponder over:
- No doubt if you compare these special rates (+0.80% above general public and +0.30% above regular senior citizen rates) with regular rates, these do seem attractive. But there are some other options as well that are offer comparatively better returns.
- One example is the Senior Citizens Savings Scheme (SCSS) which too has a lock-in of 5 years but currently offers 7.4% per annum. Premature withdrawal from SCSS is allowed with a heavy penalty. But assuming you wouldn’t withdraw prematurely, it does offer 0.90% more than SBI’s WECare Deposit.
- Another alternative is GOI Taxable Bonds offering 7.75% per year. But they do come with a 7 year maturity period. Liquidity is an issue in this no doubt but these are near zero-risk, government-backed safe instruments. And I have long maintained that safety first when it investing in debt.
- Even some NBFCs may be offering higher rates. But for senior citizens, these are best avoided. No point being greedy about a 1-2% more and investing in high-rate-poor-quality debt instruments and take default risk. Some exposure is fine but give more importance to the safety of capital.
- All said, this scheme does score on the safety parameter as its offered by the largest public sector bank, SBI – which is a systematically important and too-big-to-fail and too-important-to-be-allowed-to-fail bank. And fixed deposits good for short term for conservative savers.
- As a senior citizen, you have limited savings and limited scope to generate additional income. So always try to evaluate all the factors of any scheme you plan to invest in, and don’t just be blinded by the interest rates being offered.
- Another factor which I feel many seniors may miss realizing during the current low-interest scenario is that interest rates will eventually revert to their means. Current rates are very low and due to COVID-triggered unprecedented events. It’s possible that rates might improve in the near future. Maybe in a few months or a year or two. So if you lock-in your money at current rates for 5 years, you will miss out on the opportunity to switch to better rates once the interest rate situation improves. So maybe, waiting this few tough months might be better (and accept lower rates temporarily for few months to a year) and then switch to better rate FDs in the near future. To each his own but this is something not to ignore.
- Debt funds can potentially give better returns. But senior citizens need to be very careful if their savings corpus is limited. Read this to know how to pick debt funds correctly.
So that is all about SBI Special WECARE Fixed Deposit (2020) for Senior Citizens. And how to consider various factors when deciding whether you should invest in SBI WeCare deposit in 2020.